Miyerkules, Nobyembre 3, 2021

[Medina] Andre Iguodala: “The NBA salary cap won’t allow me to play much longer, but I’m going to enjoy it… The only way I’ll cоach is if I’m absolutely bоred or I’ve accumulated Jeff Bezоs-type of mоney. If I coach because I don’t need the money, I might. We’ll see what happens in 10 to 15 years.”

Source

No doubt, Iguodala hopes to retire in a Warriors uniform. When that moment happens, though? That remains anyone’s guess, including Iguodala’s.

“The NBA salary cap won’t allow me to play too much longer, but I’m going to enjoy it,” Iguodala, 37, told NBA.com. “Whether it’s one year or seven years left, I’m going to have some fun.”


When the Warriors said goodbye to Iguodala, several in the organization still envisioned that a reunion would eventually happen. As Curry admitted, “I had high hopes, but you never know.”

“When we traded him,” Myers said, “you never know how people are going to feel about that and how he would feel.”

Iguodala had already wrestled with a team trading him unexpectedly. He had spent most of his first eight NBA seasons as the Philadelphia 76ers’ franchise player (2004-12), which coincided with five playoff appearances, an All-Star stint (2012) and a spot on the U.S. Olympic team (2012). But during Team USA’s run at gold, the Sixers dealt Iguodala to Denver as part of a four-team trade.

“That was kind of crazy,” Iguodala said. “You’re representing your country and then you get traded by some folks. They say, ‘You’re my guy and you’re my family.’ Then the whole thing went down. It was a sense of disrespect. Not for me personally, but that’s how it can be when a guy is traded.”


Iguodala reacted much differently when the Warriors dealt him.

It helped that Iguodala learned about the Warriors’ possible plans beforehand. Iguodala even talked with members of the organization about its thinking before a deal even happened. Once Iguodala had to take off his Warriors jersey, he hardly had any thoughts of burning it.

“I know how the business of the game works,” Iguodala said. “There were no emotions thrown in there. I didn’t have any ill feelings toward anyone. I understand how I am as a person. I understand I may feel a certain way about certain things that others may not agree with. Whether or not that played a part of it, I accepted it. I built some great relationships. What we’ve been able to accomplish and are still accomplishing with this organization will stand the test of time. Nobody will ever take it away from us.”


At some point, Iguodala will have to wrestle with another tough decision. What will he do once he retires from the NBA?

“He’s taking over Mike Brown’s spot right next to me,” Kerr said, laughing. “I haven’t told Mike yet. I haven’t told Andre yet, either.”

Should Brown anticipate Kerr firing him as the Warriors’ lead assistant coach? Is Iguodala ready to patrol the sideline instead of the court?

“I don’t know how I would be as a coach,” Iguodala said, laughing. “As a player, I can make my impact on the court and then curse a guy out and show them that I know what I’m doing. But as a coach, you really can’t show it the same way. That’s why I don’t think that’s the best thing.”

Neither does Kerr, who rescinded the offer as quickly as he dangled it.

“I’m pretty sure he doesn’t want any part of that,” Kerr said. “Andre can do whatever he wants. If he wants to be a head coach in the league, he can do that in his sleep. But he’s also probably a lot smarter than that to make that decision. He has a lot of options.”

Iguodala and Kerr often agree about basketball partly because of their mutual upbringing as former players under Lute Olson, the late University of Arizona basketball coach. No surprise Iguodala said that Kerr is “100 percent” correct about his future, too.

“The only way I’ll coach is if I’m absolutely bored or I’ve accumulated [Jeff] Bezos-type of money,” Iguodala said. “If I coach because I don’t need the money, I might. We’ll see what happens in 10 to 15 years.”



Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento